Tuesday 11 May 2010

You Are Called to Build Zion

Elder Vaughn J. Featherstone told the following story:
“A few years ago, a father shared the following story with me. His oldest son had been attending Brigham Young University for approximately a year after his mission. During that year he had become engaged and was preparing to be married. About a week before his marriage, he went to Salt Lake City to spend an evening with his family. The father said, ‘He seemed very serious. He had always been so buoyant and filled with excitement. He was an absolute joy to have around.’ After about half an hour, the son went to his father and asked, ‘Dad, can I speak to you in the study?’ Usually, the father took his son to the study. The son waited until the father was inside, and then he closed the door (something the father usually did). Then the son went over and sat in the big easy chair, and the father was left to sit on a hard-backed chair. The father said that it was truly a role-reversal, and he wondered what he had done wrong. He said, ‘I felt like I was under the grilling lamp.’ Then the son said, ‘Dad, you know I am getting married next week.’
“The father thought tenderly about his son’s wedding and responded, ‘Yes, I know that, Son.’
“Then the son said, ‘Dad, I thought you and Mom would like to know I am as clean and pure as the day you brought me into this life.’ Tears glistened in his eyes, then tears glistened in the father’s eyes. He went to his son, hugged him, and kissed him on the cheek. He couldn’t speak because his heart was full” (Purity of Heart [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1982], pp. 42–43).

No comments:

Post a Comment