Tuesday 11 May 2010

Heavenly Father Blesses Those Who Give to Build the Kingdom

Read or tell in your own words the following experience of Elder Angel Abrea, of the Seventy:
“I remember once in 1957, while I was acting as a new president of a branch in Argentina, I decided to interview the members with respect to the importance of paying tithing. I found myself talking with one good brother of the branch whose name was Jose, who had difficulty paying his tithing. I asked him bluntly, ‘Brother Jose, why don’t you pay your tithing?’ I’m sure Jose didn’t expect me to be so direct.
“After a moment of silence he responded: ‘As you know, President, I have two children. The wage of a laborer is very low. This month I have to buy my children shoes to go to school; and, mathematically, I just don’t have enough money.’
“In an instant response, I said, ‘Jose, I promise you that if you pay your tithing faithfully, your children will have their shoes to go to school, and you will be able to pay for all the needs of your home. I don’t know how he will do it, but the Lord always keeps his promises. Besides that,’ I added, ‘If you still find that you don’t have enough money, I will give you back what you paid in tithing from my own pocket.’
“On the way home, I wondered if what I had done was the right thing. Here I was, recently married, just getting started in my career, and faced with my own economic problems. I began to worry about my own shoes, let alone those of Jose’s family! Even though when I got home my dear wife wholeheartedly supported me and reassured me that everything would be all right, I must say that that night nobody prayed harder for Brother Jose’s economic welfare than I did.
“One month later, I once again sat down with Jose. Though the tears in his eyes almost made it impossible for him to speak, he said: ‘President, it is incredible. I paid my tithing; I was able to meet all of my obligations, and I even purchased the new shoes for my children, all without an increase in my wage. I know that the Lord keeps his promises!’ ” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1981, p. 34; or Ensign, Nov. 1981, pp. 24–25).

No comments:

Post a Comment